Upgrading from Woody to Sarge on PowerPC

Hi Folks-

I'm new to Debian but have 10 years of experience with Linux from
Slackware, Mandrake, Redhat, SuSE, and most lately Gentoo.  I'm
experimenting with Debian in general because of its universality and in
particular because Gentoo doesn't seem to have an install capability for
the OldWorld PowerPC (604e).  I recently installed Woody on such a
machine using the 3.0r4 binary CDs for PowerPC and the resulting system
seems to work fine, but I didn't realize how old the software was in
Woody and would like to upgrade to Sarge (I need relatively current
software for Kerberos and OpenAFS).  Unfortunately, I'm having problems
doing so according to the release notes for Sarge.  In particular, I see
at
http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/powerpc/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
the instructions of "4.2.1 Adding APT Internet sources" which read in part:

=====================
To use this mirror with apt, you add this line to your sources.list file:

     deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian sarge main contrib

Note that the `dists' is added implicitly, and the arguments after the
release name are used to expand the path into multiple directories.

After adding your new sources, disable the previously existing "deb"
lines in sources.list, by placing a hash sign (#) in front of them.
=====================

My /etc/apt/sources.list file reads:
==============
7300:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list|grep -v ^\#
deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib
non-free
==============
(any line breaks were introduced by my mail client upon pasting)

My only changes from what I found after installation were to remove the
cdrom sources and to change "stable" to "sarge" where I found it in the
file.

I also tried upgrading with "sarge" above replaced by "stable" but when
I did so, the upgrade step made zero changes:
================
7300:~# aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information... Done
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/e/d/v/action/?]
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information... Done
================

I'm not quite sure what to make of the fact that initially, these
instructions say to use "sarge" and then later, go on to say use
"stable."  These seem contradictory to me but I'm sure it's because I'm
a newbie to Debian.

Continuing with the instructions at the above URL, I then see at "4.3
Upgrading packages" instructions which read in part:

=================
Next ensure that the APT source entries (in /etc/apt/sources.list) refer
to the 'stable' distribution and do not refer to it by its codename
(e.g. woody).

First aptitude needs to fetch a list of new and updated packages for the
new release. This is done by executing:

     aptitude update

Once aptitude has information on all the available packages, the system
is almost ready to be fully upgraded.

     aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade

=================

But when I execute "aptitude update" with "sarge" in my
/etc/apt/sources.list file, I see this:

=================
7300:~# aptitude update
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://debian.lcs.mit.edu
sarge/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_sarge_main_binary-powerpc_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://debian.lcs.mit.edu
sarge/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_sarge_non-free_binary-powerpc_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://debian.lcs.mit.edu
sarge/contrib Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_sarge_contrib_binary-powerpc_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org
sarge/non-US/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_sarge_non-US_main_binary-powerpc_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org
sarge/non-US/contrib Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_sarge_non-US_contrib_binary-powerpc_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org
sarge/non-US/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_sarge_non-US_non-free_binary-powerpc_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to update the package lists to correct these missing files
=================

Which I can see is true.  All I have is this:

=================
7300:~# ls /var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_*
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_contrib_binary-powerpc_Packages
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_contrib_binary-powerpc_Release
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_contrib_source_Release
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_contrib_source_Sources
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-powerpc_Packages
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-powerpc_Release
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_main_source_Release
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_main_source_Sources
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_non-free_binary-powerpc_Packages
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_non-free_binary-powerpc_Release
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_non-free_source_Release
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_stable_non-free_source_Sources
=================

So how do I get files for sarge here?

Am I following the wrong guidance for upgrading to Sarge?

Could someone please offer a pointer or two?  I've googled for this
problem but don't find it anywhere.  It's probably something extremely
simple for an experienced Debian user but for me, after an hour of
scratching my head and hunting for solutions, I'm stumped.

Prior to the above steps, I did step my way through all of the previous
instructions at the above URL.  In particular, I did do these steps:

Release Notes for Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (`sarge'), PowerPC
Chapter 4 - Upgrades from previous releases
4.1 Preparing for the upgrade
apt-get install aptitude
4.1.1 Disabling APT pinning
(nothing to do here)
4.1.2 Checking packages status
7300:~# dpkg --audit
7300:~# dpkg -l | pager
(nothing noteworthy here: 156 packages from the base installation plus
heimdal and afs packages, all with "ii" at the beginning of the line;
although the afs configuration failed during initial setup, I assumed it
was due to the fact that the software is very old (1.2.3final2-6) and my
cell is running code from OpenAFS that is all at or later than version
1.2.11)

TIA for any suggestions and my apologies if the answer is staring me in
the face somehow...

-Kevin