Re: Internet (Once and for all)

David R. Litwin wrote:

> Alright. I'd really like to get my Internet working so, please, help me.

I know nothing about pppoe, so don't rely too heavily on me.

> I have given up on getting Debian to connect me to the internet; so, I
> downloaded the software from Sympatico, my ISP (
> http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&category_id=99&content_id=1138
> <http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&category_id=99&content_id=1138>).
> It says to type in ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 <http://0.0.0.0> up -arp and
> says that will stop all IP activity. Well, it may... but it is still
> broadcasting. How do I make it stop?

What do you mean that "it is still broadcasting"? Do you have another
computer on the LAN that sees it? Do you see it listed via "ifconfig"? What?

I generally bring my network interface up or down with the networking rc
script, like so:

> enjae[westk]:/home/westk> /etc/init.d/networking stop

or

> enjae[westk]:/home/westk> /etc/init.d/networking start

Perhaps this is relevant to you.

> When I use the script /usr/local/bin/start-pppoe (one of the scripts
> that is part of the software), it says no sir; eth0 still
> broadcasting. I've tried to get rid of all of the changes that I made
> (using pppoeconf as well as opening up scripts and putting in things I
> thought appropriate) and it still won't work. There is also a
> mysterious inet6 under both the lo (local loopback) and the eth0. How
> do I get rid of this?

inet6 is the next generation of TCP/IP addressing, to compensate for the
low numbers of IP addresses available with the current version 4 of the
TCP/IP addressing scheme. 6 is used in a few places, but 4 is still the
"standard". Sometimes computers will be configured to handle both, which
seems to be the situation in your case.

You should be able to prevent activation of your NICs by commenting out
any lines referring to them in "/etc/network/interfaces" (but do this
after running "/etc/init.d/networking stop"). However, as I say, I know
nothing about pppoe, so my information my be wrong/incomplete.

--
Kent