Re: Upgrading from Woody to Sarge on PowerPC

Kevin wrote:

>OldWorld PowerPC (604e).  I recently installed Woody on such a
>machine using the 3.0r4 binary CDs for PowerPC and the resulting system
>seems to work fine, but I didn't realize how old the software was in
>Woody and would like to upgrade to Sarge
>

>My /etc/apt/sources.list file reads:
>==============
>7300:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list|grep -v ^\#
>deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
>deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
>deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib
>non-free
>deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib
>non-free
>==============
>(any line breaks were introduced by my mail client upon pasting)

You'll need to run "aptitude update" prior to running "aptitude -f
--with-recommends dist-upgrade".
The first step goes out and gets the list of available packages; the
next step goes and gets, not the list, but the actual packages.

>I'm not quite sure what to make of the fact that initially, these
>instructions say to use "sarge" and then later, go on to say use
>"stable."  These seem contradictory to me but I'm sure it's because I'm
>a newbie to Debian.

I'm unfamiliar with the instructions, but I'm confident it's a typo. If
you want to pull from Sarge, you'll need Sarge in your sources.list.

>Next ensure that the APT source entries (in /etc/apt/sources.list) refer
>to the 'stable' distribution and do not refer to it by its codename
>(e.g. woody).

Again, this should not be "stable", but rather "sarge" (or "testing" as
recommended here, but either should work until the distributions change
states).

>First aptitude needs to fetch a list of new and updated packages for the
>new release. This is done by executing:
>
>     aptitude update
>
>Once aptitude has information on all the available packages, the system
>is almost ready to be fully upgraded.
>
>     aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade
>
>=================
>
>But when I execute "aptitude update" with "sarge" in my
>/etc/apt/sources.list file, I see this:
>
>=================
>7300:~# aptitude update
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree
>Reading extended state information... Done
>W: Couldn't stat source package list http://debian.lcs.mit.edu
>sarge/main Packages
>(/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_sarge_main_binary-powerpc_Packages)
>- stat (2 No such file or directory)
>W: Couldn't stat source package list http://debian.lcs.mit.edu
>sarge/non-free Packages
>(/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_sarge_non-free_binary-powerpc_Packages)
>- stat (2 No such file or directory)
>W: Couldn't stat source package list http://debian.lcs.mit.edu
>sarge/contrib Packages
>(/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_sarge_contrib_binary-powerpc_Packages)
>- stat (2 No such file or directory)
>W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org
>sarge/non-US/main Packages
>(/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_sarge_non-US_main_binary-powerpc_Packages)
>- stat (2 No such file or directory)
>W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org
>sarge/non-US/contrib Packages
>(/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_sarge_non-US_contrib_binary-powerpc_Packages)
>- stat (2 No such file or directory)
>W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org
>sarge/non-US/non-free Packages
>(/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_sarge_non-US_non-free_binary-powerpc_Packages)
>- stat (2 No such file or directory)
>W: You may want to update the package lists to correct these missing files
>=================

Ah; this means that something is wrong in the sources.list file.
(I hate the syntax in that file. I've been using Debian for about 5
years now, and I _still_ don't understand the syntax of that file. It's
very picky about when and where you use spaces or / marks, etc.)

Unless you want the source files, you can comment out the "deb-src"
lines to make your file less complex.

It may be that your mirror does not have the Sarge files; you might want
to point do a different mirror.

What I would do is return the "sources.list" file to its original form,
and run "aptitide update". If the system updates properly, go back into
sources.list and comment all but one line. Then change that one line so
that instead of "stable" it reads "sarge", and try running the update
again. If it fails, you can suspect the mirror of not having sarge
files, or at least of not having the expected file structure. You might
try "testing" instead of "sarge", or even "sid" or "unstable" for
cutting-edge software.

Another idea that just came to me: You indicate that your original
sources.list file was pulling from CDs; now you're telling it to pull
from the Internet. You are attached to the Internet, yes?

--
Kent