Re: Sound

David R. Litwin wrote:

> The following is going to sound vague.
>
> The sound on my Sarge 2.6 kernel KDE 3.3 will not work. I'm in the
> group audio, so that isn't the answer. With kernel 2.4, I had sound.
> Now, not.
>
> What can I check or do to get my sound back?
>
> I have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI at Location 4 (PCI bus 0, device
> 9, function 0) in Windows.

Run "lspci" and see what chipset your sound blaster uses. For example,
my relevant line says:

> 0000:00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller(rev 50)

indicating that my sound chip is a VAI VT82C686.

Then run "modconf" to install the appropriate driver. In my case, that
driver is "via82cxxx_audio". If you can't find the driver via "modconf",
you can try googling for the correct driver for your sound chip.

As a general rule, once installed, the driver's settings are set to
"mute". You may need to run some sort of mixer utility (alsamix, kmix,
etc) to unmute the device.

--
Kent