Re: Microsoft Digital Media Pro USB keyboard and KDE3

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 08:28:23PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I'm looking for any help that might lead to getting all the little
> bonus keys working on my new keyboard in KDE3.  Googling for the
> keyboard name and "kde" or "linux" doesn't find anything relevant,
> just Windows-oriented reviews and online shopping sites.  Obviously,
> being a Microsoft product, the manual was no help in my case.
>
> I tried selecting several different keyboard models with similar names
> in kcontrol's Regional and Accessability > Keyboard Layout section
> but I can't seem to get any of the keys or the zoom slider to work,
> save for the standard 104 keys.
>
> I presume there must be some way to find out what kind of keyscans I'm
> getting from the extended keys and be able to create my own keyboard
> layouts in KDE3.  Any pointers on how to proceed?

You might try xev, to at least find out what the raw keycodes are --
presuming your X-server is handling those keys at all.  Otherwise, I'm
afraid, it's an X-server configuration issue...

(I myself have an IBM keyboard with about a dozen special keys -- they
all do show up with seperate keycodes in xev, so I can bind them to
whatever I please...)

Almut