Re: Microsoft Digital Media Pro USB keyboard and KDE3

On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:28:23 -0700
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

> I'm looking for any help that might lead to getting all the little
> bonus keys working on my new keyboard in KDE3.  Googling for the
> keyboard name and "kde" or "linux" doesn't find anything relevant,
> just Windows-oriented reviews and online shopping sites.  Obviously,
> being a Microsoft product, the manual was no help in my case.
>
> I tried selecting several different keyboard models with similar names
>
> in kcontrol's Regional and Accessability > Keyboard Layout section
> but I can't seem to get any of the keys or the zoom slider to work,
> save for the standard 104 keys.
>
> I presume there must be some way to find out what kind of keyscans I'm
>
> getting from the extended keys and be able to create my own keyboard
> layouts in KDE3.  Any pointers on how to proceed?

Try xbindkeys or some other key-binding application. They don't always
work, but they can often detect the keypresses and bind a program or
event to them.

I used to write scripts to do what I needed and set the keys to call the
scripts. I preferred xbindkeys for that, though I haven't used it at all
for some time.

--
Microsoft: The company that made computing dangerous.