Re: rediscovering hardware

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 10:33, Tom Allison wrote:
> Tony Godshall wrote:
> > According to Tom Allison,

> <snip>
>
> >>While systems may do some kind of auto-detect of the hardware when they
> >>start, I find it difficult to believe that they would actually go
> >>through and rebuild the modules conf files at every boot (auto config
> >>rather then auto-detect).
> >
> > 1. comment out everything in /etc/modules (those entries
> > have nothing to do with this system)
>
> I already have discover installed.  IFAIK it came with the initial
> installation (sarge installer RC2 based) and has been there ever since.
Which discover do you have, discover 1 or discover 2 (alias discover).  The
default is to install 1 I think, but 2 seems to work better now (I think but
am not quite sure that 2 was not ready when the component list for
the new installer was drawn up, or maybe 1 works better with a 2.4 kernel)
So the first thing I tend to do after an install is to:-
apt-get install discover

> I should expect discover to rebuild the modules.conf file?
> (sounds like "Yes").
> I take it discover is not able (ever or yet) to modify the modules.conf
Modules.conf is there for those modules which are NOT detected automatically,
discover dynamically loads all those that ARE detected automatically.

David