Re: do I really need "make-kpkg clean"?

Apparently, _Roberto C. Sanchez_, on 05/03/2005 07:10 PM,typed:
H. S. wrote:

Apparently, _Andres Järv_, on 05/03/2005 06:05 PM,typed:

I'm missing the point of make-kpkg. It doesn't make any other
difference than make things more complicated IMHO. I just use the old
fashion way of cp and make modules_install ;)

The only advantage I see is that I get a deb package of the kernel I am
compiling. But with the trouble of having to do a clean and then
recompiling everything even after a teeny bit tweak of config, I am
wondering if it is worth obtaining the deb anymore.

Set 'do_clean := NO' in /etc/kernel-pkg.conf.  I have in the past
modified the config slightly and rebuilt the package with the same
revision #.  Just be aware that you will clobber your existing kernel
and need an immediate reboot.

When I am recompiling a kernel with the same version and revision and skipping the "make-kpkg clean" step, the kernel name is going to be exactly the same. So I reboot into an alternate kernel first to stay clear of any pitfalls that may result due to the 'clobbering' of the recompiled kernel.

(Remove all underscores,if any, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.)