Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Chris Bannister wrote:

[snip discussion of FHS and /usr]

> Is /usr/local deprecated?

Certainly not. It's the only place in /usr that the package manager
won't touch [1]. I put locally-installed software into /usr/local.

A great thing about Debian is that, even though apt/dpkg provide a truly
comprehensive package system, the machine is still the sysadmin's. The
FHS is important because it defines what package managers can touch, and
where various types of files should go. As such, it's good for the admin
to be aware of it -- it can help avoid scrapes like the OP got into. In
the end, though, the FHS is law for Debian [2], not for the sysadmin.

- Aaron

[1]: That's a small fib. Packages can create empty directories in
/usr/local, but that's about it, I think.

[2]: That's a small fib, too. Debian's own packaging Policy can override
the FHS.

--
Aaron Hall           :              Sleep, where is thy sting?
ahall@vitaphone.net  :              Bed, where is thy victory?