Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

On (23/04/05 07:24), Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2005-04-23, Clive Menzies penned:
> > others are better qualified to answer.
> >
> > However, one post pointed out that apache installs www to var by
> > default; so I guess the same applies for cvs.  I must find some time
> > to study the FHS documentation.
>
> Knock yourself out:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
>
> Actually, it's not a tough read, but I've been keeping the same system
> going for years now, upgrading hardware piece by piece and even
> switching from RH to Debian many years ago; changing where everything
> lives now to be standards-compliant would be ... well, more effort
> than I'm willing to undergo.

Thanks Monique

Within the first couple of pages:

Shareable files can be stored on one host and used on several others.
Typically, however, not all files in the filesystem hierarchy are
shareable and so each system has local storage containing at least its
unshareable files. It is convenient if all the files a system requires
that are stored on a foreign host can be made available by mounting one
or a few directories from the foreign host.

Static and variable files should be segregated because static files,
unlike variable files, can be stored on read-only media and do not need
to be backed up on the same schedule as variable files.

Historical UNIX-like filesystem hierarchies contained both static and
variable files under both /usr and /etc. In order to realize the
advantages mentioned above, the /var hierarchy was created and all
variable files were transferred from /usr to /var. Consequently /usr can
now be mounted read-only (if it is a separate filesystem). Variable
files have been transferred from /etc to /var over a longer period as
technology has permitted.

Here is an example of a FHS-compliant system. (Other FHS-compliant
layouts are possible.)

		shareable	unshareable
	static	/usr		/etc
	 	/opt		/boot
	variable /var/mail	/var/run
		/var/spool/news	/var/lock

So I guess the problem the OP encountered is related to this in some
way.

Regards

Clive

--