Re: where to debug automount problem

> Yes, I tried this. All available directories show up when I ls
> /var/autofs/home; they all result in "No such file or directory" if I
> try to ls the contents.
sure when it's not mounted.. it's not !!!

> > > and then try to ls /var/autofs/home/robert, I get ls:
> > > /var/autofs/home/robert: No such file or directory, and
> > > /var/log/syslog contains
> >
> > try to identificate the problem...
> > can you as the user who launches the automount to:
> > mount -t nfs hostname:/export/users/zzz073/robert /var/autofs/home/
>
> I assume I should mkdir /var/autofs/home/robert first?
> That's one thing I haven't tried. I'll have to get back to you.

No you dont have to createt the robert directory first.

> One other point is that the host is accessed through a VPN tunnel.
you know, you should try to mount an nfs partition without VPN. What about mounting somethink like:

mkdir /export/TEST
mkdir TESTOB
touch /export/TEST/foo

#
#maybe you don't need this
#vvvvvvvvv
echo "/export/TEST/foo 127.0.0.1/32(rw)" >> /etc/exports
aptitude -R install portmap
apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
/etc/init.d/portmap start
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
#^^^^^^^^^^^
and then try to mount it manually:
mount -t nfs localhost:/export/TEST /TEST
unmount it

and then add to your YP's automount table this entry:
TEST localhost:/export/TEST

and if you can not add this to the automount table in the yp:
create your own table /etc/auto.test

and add it to in the auto.master entry
/TEST /etc/auto.test

good luck