Re: where to debug automount problem

> Hello;
>
> Where should I ask for help getting a Debian system to automount nfs volumes?
the automount is the one asking to mount stuff. But it is `mount' command at the end that mount the volumes. so you shoud refer to mount's manual for this.

> My problem is as follows:
>
> I am able to
>
> > ypcat -k auto.home | grep robert
> robert hostname:/export/users/zzz073/robert
your hostname name is `hostname' ?? :)

> then
>
> > mount hostname:/export/users/zzz0OB73/robert /home/robert

> and ls /home/robert works as expected. However, if I
ok, then it's a matter of the automount

> > automount /var/autofs/home/ yp auto.home

try: /usr/sbin/automount --ghost /var/autofs/home/ yp auto.home
then you will enable the ghosting

> and then try to ls /var/autofs/home/robert, I get ls:
> /var/autofs/home/robert: No such file or directory, and
> /var/log/syslog contains

try to identificate the problem...
can you as the user who launches the automount to:
mount -t nfs hostname:/export/users/zzz073/robert /var/autofs/home/

> localhost automount[23333]: failed to mount /var/autofs/home/robert

> If I add -d and -v to the automount command line I get a whole bunchof
> stuff in syslog but it doesn't help much. I can post this if required.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Robert

strange.. looks like a good configuration.

Ced.

--

Cedric BRINER