Re: where to debug automount problem

On 4/27/05, Cedric BRINER <work@infomaniak.ch> wrote:
> > Yes, I tried this. All available directories show up when I ls
> > /var/autofs/home; they all result in "No such file or directory" if I
> > try to ls the contents.
> sure when it's not mounted.. it's not !!!

I thought the purpose of automount was to mount directories when accessed.

> > > try to identificate the problem...
> > > can you as the user who launches the automount to:
> > > mount -t nfs hostname:/export/users/zzz073/robert /var/autofs/home/

This mounts "robert" on the host as /var/autofs/home; not really what
I want but it works.

> > I assume I should mkdir /var/autofs/home/robert first?
> > That's one thing I haven't tried. I'll have to get back to you.
>
> No you dont have to createt the robert directory first.
>
> > One other point is that the host is accessed through a VPN tunnel.
> you know, you should try to mount an nfs partition without VPN. What about mounting somethink like:
>
> mkdir /export/TEST
> mkdir TESTOB
> touch /export/TEST/foo
>
> #
> #maybe you don't need this
> #vvvvvvvvv
> echo "/export/TEST/foo 127.0.0.1/32(rw)" >> /etc/exports
> aptitude -R install portmap
> apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
> /etc/init.d/portmap start
> /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
> #^^^^^^^^^^^
> and then try to mount it manually:
> mount -t nfs localhost:/export/TEST /TEST

I get mount: localhost:/exports/TEST failed, reason given by server:
Permission denied

and

Apr 27 22:39:20 localhost rpc.mountd: refused mount request from
localhost for /exports/TEST (/): no export entry

I experimented with /etc/exports and the directory permissions a bit
did not change the result. Do you think this has something to do with
my problem?

Robert