Re: [OT] Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

a.list.address@gmail.com wrote:
On 4/22/05, Gary Turner <kk5st2@verizon.net> wrote:

There is good reason for bottom posting and no good reason for top
posting.  It is not a matter of choice.  It is a matter of usability,
long established protocol, and best practice.  See
<http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.3>.

Actually, there is one good reason for top posting that I can think
of, and continue to experience often: When people fail to trim quotes
and then bottom post, you often have to scroll way down just to see
what the current poster is saying, even if it's only something simple
like "thanks."  <snip>

That is not a top/bottom post issue, but a question of whether previous posts have been properly trimmed or not. Your support for top posting smacks of creating one buggy behavior to fix another. That defines an ugly hack. God knows we have to do that enough writing html+css for IE. There is no reason to do it for a simple matter of quoting and responding on a mail-list.

The next time you scroll through a bunch of trash to get to the new post, bitch about the improperly edited quotes, not the proper bottom post.

cheers,

gary
--
Anyone can build a usable web site.  It takes a graphics designer to
make it slow, confusing, and painful to use.