Re: Java Virtual Machine

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 00:14 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

> I just spent 20 minutes messing with aptitude and couldn't find the java
> runtime or the java SDK. What is the name of the package that I need to
> install? Even just for apt-get? Considering I'm meant to be a java
> programmer, i should be embarrassed but I cant figure it out.

Looks like you missed the first chapter...

There's a document called Debian GNU/Linux Java FAQ at

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/

Section 11.1.2, Making Java 2 work in Debian, contains useful info about
environment variables and /etc/alternatives.

After going through all the .deb stuff, with no joy, I gave up and got
the Java 5 SDK package from Sun.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com