Re: [OT] Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

On 2005-04-23, a.list.address@gmail.com penned:

> Actually, there is one good reason for top posting that I can think
> of, and continue to experience often: When people fail to trim
> quotes and then bottom post, you often have to scroll way down just
> to see what the current poster is saying, even if it's only
> something simple like "thanks."  That gets really annoying!  Top
> posting ensures that the latest post is always at the top, where it
> can be immediately read.  So is it more trouble to trim useless
> stuff and make a good bottom post, or to top post and scroll down if
> you need to see the quoted material?

Top-posting may work well fine for a message and its response, but
when there's a conversation, it gets ugly.  Especially because most
people around here use inline or bottom posting, so what you get is a
conversation that's completely out of order, unless some kind soul
responds to the top poster and moves the top post to the more
conversationally-appropriate place.  That may seem rude to the
top-poster, but it's a kindness to the rest of the people reading and
contributing to the conversation.

I disagree that one-line responses are a good reason for top-posting.
If a one-line response is all that's required, you can do something
like:

Joe blow said:

[snip really great info on kernel compiles]

Thanks, Joe!

There's only one example I can think of in which top-posting is a good
idea, but it's not top-posting in the traditional sense.  It's when
you're forwarding a conversation to a group that's unfamiliar with the
discussion.  Then you can introduce the discussion by saying something
like, "I found this thread about (x, y, z) on (some place) -- What do
you guys think?"  This differs from traditional top-posting in that it's
more like your own post in which you're referencing material, and it
maintains an appropriate conversational flow.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: