Re: Need Help-YMF724F Sound Card And ALSA

Justin Guerin wrote:

On Sunday 17 April 2005 08:54, you wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
Copying the list, so others might be able to help

On Saturday 16 April 2005 18:49, you wrote:
Justin Guerin wrote:
<posted & mailed>

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Have tried for several weeks to get sound from my Dell Dimensions XPS
T450 with YMF724F sound
card and ALSA drivers. snipped ...
I used to have a Dell XPS T450 with YMF724 sound, and it worked
perfectly. So it's possible.
snipped

effort followed the instructions at
www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?module=ymfpci#opt
with no resulting sound from my pc.  Using alsamixer, I unmuted all and
set volume controls up to
90% on everything; still no sound.  Googling yielded lots of hits but
nothing useful except the above
URL.  I'm using real player 10 GOLD and can play video news clips from
Reuters and API on MyYahoo
with good video output but no sound.  I do get static from my speakers
after setting the alsamixer so I'm
confident the speakers are wording.  ymfpci module is loaded.  I ran
update-modules after following the instructions at the above URL.
Hopefully someone using the YMF724F card can tell me what is wrong and
how to fix it, but would appreciate any help whatsoever.  My ALSA
related modules.conf is listed below:
NOTE: Not subscribed-PLEASE COPY MY EMAIL ADDRESS.
[snip modules config]

I also tried to set up the*_The .asoundrc file__snipped...
Len Chatagnier
*
snipped: kept for my record
Thanks for this info; I couldn't find or maybe overlooked this info when
reading the
man page for vi(vim).  Since the .asoundrc file only enhances,  I'll try
creating the file
when I have sound.

Anyway, on to your problem.  Did you run aslaconf?  That should be able
to set up your sound card for you.  You will then need to run alsamixer
to unmute the channels.
Thanks, for your replying.  Yes, have run alsaconf and alsamixer twice
but still
no sound while video plays beatifully.  Even tried gamix a coulple of
times.  Everything
set up to 90% or better volume.  The last time run alsaconf, it
eliminated the dev/dsp
artsinformational error message that said "too many links to resolve" or
something to
that effect.  Some progess indicated, maybe?  This message popped up
everytime I started
KDE GUI.  Hope I didn't initialize something that would prevent sound
from playing when
using the mixers through my ignorance.
snipped...

"Too many links to resolve" is an interesting error message that I've not
seen.
Related to this, when I last ran alsaconf, video stopped playing on real
player giving a message
similar to: non-recognized media format, run change media setting and
make sure you have the
proper plugins.  Control center was set to autodetect so I changed it to
OSS and the video started
playing again, then went to ALSA and it still played video, no sound,
and left
it on ALSA.  This also brought back the artsinformational message about
too many open links on /dev/dsp.

I did a little research on the too many open links problem, and it seems to me that you've got recursive links. Can you post the output of ls -l /dev/dsp, and the output of ls -l of every file that original link points to? I have a feeling after one or two steps, it will point back to /dev/dsp, which is a bad thing.
Yeah, me too, til about 3am. Had lots of hits but no clearcut solution. Already tried the above but doesn't show me anything. Perhaps you can make something of the results:
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ls -l /dev/dsp
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Apr 19 07:11 /dev/ds p -> dsp
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ls -l/dsp
ls: invalid option -- /
Try `ls --help' for more information.
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ls -l /dsp
ls: /dsp: No such file or directory
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ls -l dsp
ls: dsp: No such file or directory
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#
I did locate dsp:
/dev/.udevdb/class@sound@adsp
/dev/.udevdb/class@sound@dsp
/dev/adsp
/dev/dsp
snipped a bunch or .ko, .so and .h files wih the 'dsp' sequence in them. I'll ls -l these if needed but I only see the "one" symbolic link to dsp. So, I didn't get anywhere. Also, I think the number 3, after root root(3rd column in ls -l output) indicates the number of links to /dev/dsp? Where are
they, if that's so?

You mention that you've been using real player to test the sound.  How
about using something a little more basic, like a command line utility
(play, for example).  That might give you a more meaningful error
message.
After reading the help files for play and sox, did this with results
shown: ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# play
/usr/lib/games/luxman/11k/siren.snd playing
/usr/lib/games/luxman/11k/siren.snd
sox: Failed reading /usr/lib/games/luxman/11k/siren.snd: Did not detect
valid Sun/NeXT/DEC magic number in header.
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#

Also did the same file at 8K with same sox message.  Played a different
8K file with same results.
If I needed to specify an option, didn't because they are greek to me.
This error message indicates that the file you are attempting to play is
corrupt.  It's not a valid sound file, and even if your sound worked
perfectly, you wouldn't be able to play it.  Do you have any known good
sound files to work with?

Unfortunately, this error is detected before play attempts to open your
sound device and play the file, so it doesn't tell us anything about
whether or not your sound is configured.

Are you using a sound daemon, like arts or esd?  If so, is real player
configured to play through the sound daemon?  Snipped...
I believe I'm using artsd, but havent' restarted it lately.  snipped....
If you're logged in to KDE, odds are you're using artsd.  You can find out
for sure by running "ps ux | grep arts", and if you see a line like this:
justin    5404  0.0  2.0  57264  5340 ?        S    Mar27   5:57 artsd -F
10 -S 4096 -a alsa -s 10 -m artsmessage -c drkonqi -l 3 -f
then you're definitely using arts.  Alternately, you can open up the KDE
control center, then open the "sound and multimedia" section, and click on
the sound system module.  If "Enable the sound system" is checked, then
you're using arts.  You might try hitting the test sound button, to see if
it provides any good feedback.
Artsd is running as shown:
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc$ ps ux | grep arts
lchata    3503  0.8  5.7 21164 7312 ?        S    12:35   0:00
/usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -a oss -s 60 -m artsmessage -c drkonqi -l 3 -f
lchata    3513  0.0  0.3  1548  468 pts/1    S+   12:37   0:00 grep arts
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc$
Also, the enable sound system was checked in control center and playing
the test button gives me a beep but
the sound is coming from a builtin modem speaker not from my HP
polleaudio sterio speakers I have hooked up.
The modem has always worked for system sounds.  Note: could be the
speakers are not plugged in correctly; however, I checked the icons on
the recepticles and they appear to be correct.  Mic to Mic, speakers to
output and a yellow plug tapped from my monitor plug going to input on
the Dell machine as they were on the HP Pavilion 8370.  I don't have
documentation on the Dell so can't be sure about hookup.

Post the sound related output of lsmod, and post the attempts at playing
sound with a command line utility, and that should help pinpoint the
problem.
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# lsmod

snipped: results ok
You got enough for us to know that you've got the proper alsa related
sound modules loaded, and you've got oss emulation running, which means
"play" should work.  That's good.

Justin Guerin
Justin, thanks so much for your response.  I was beginning to panic and
about to remove alsa and give oss a try.
Hope the info provided pinpoints the problem.

Leonard Chatagnier
It helps, but unfortunately, we pinpointed a problem with the file you
were attempting to play, and not your sound setup.  If you can find a
known valid sound file, post the results of trying to "play" it.
Searched sox media type extensions and attempted to play several as
follows with results:
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# play
/usr/share/sounds/Kopete_User_is_Online.ogg
playing /usr/share/sounds/Kopete_User_is_Online.ogg
sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Too many levels of symbolic links
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#
Estensions cvs, ogg, mp3 all gave the above message.  snd gave the
original message posted
previously.  dat gave a message saying it could not determine the
sampleing rate.
Perhaps I should use some option in the play command?  I would be glad
to download and
play a known good media file if you could suggest one and the URl to
locate it.  I think we're
getting close.  For checkout purposes, should I leave KDE sound hardware
settings on autodetect
as it originally was, on ALSA or on OSS?  Also, if you have any
suggestions on checking out the
speaker, mic, monitor plugs from my HP accessories I'm using into the
Dell machine, I'm more
than wiling to take the time.

I think the files you tried to play that gave you the error about too many levels of symbolic links are good files. Right now, that's the error you've got to fix. One way to do this is to move all alsa related config files out of the way, run alsaconf, and see if it still generates recursive links. If it doesn't, you might be finished. If it does, post the results, and what you did, and we'll work it from there.
Ok, this could be difficult. There are a lot of them. Do something like locate alsa. Rename all alsa*.conf to *.old.
Then run alsaconf?  ?to be sure I'm on the same wavelength?

Justin Guerin
Thanks for your much needed help.
Leonard Chjatagnier
Sorry for the delay in my response.
Thanks for coming back. Had time for a little googling and came up with same conclusion, but no solution. BTW, I have sound on w98se on the Dell so, the wiring
setup between my HP speakers, mic, etc must be ok.

Justin Guerin

Len C