Re: Need Help-YMF724F Sound Card And ALSA

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 03:35, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Justin Guerin wrote:

[snip]
> Yeah, me too, til about 3am.  Had lots of hits but no clearcut
> solution.  Already tried the
> above but doesn't show me anything.  Perhaps you can make something of
> the results:
> ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ls -l /dev/dsp
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Apr 19 07:11 /dev/ds p -> dsp

Looks like /dev/dsp points to itself.  Weird.  That's where your recursion
comes from, though.

> ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ls -l/dsp
> ls: invalid option -- /
> Try `ls --help' for more information.
> ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ls -l /dsp
> ls: /dsp: No such file or directory
> ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ls -l dsp
> ls: dsp: No such file or directory
> ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#
> I did locate dsp:
> /dev/.udevdb/class@sound@adsp
> /dev/.udevdb/class@sound@dsp
> /dev/adsp
> /dev/dsp

Do you have anything that matches /dev/dsp* ?

> snipped a bunch or .ko, .so and .h files wih the 'dsp' sequence in
> them.  I'll ls -l these if needed
> but I only see the "one" symbolic link to dsp.  So, I didn't get
> anywhere.  Also, I think the number
> 3, after root root(3rd column in ls -l output) indicates the number of
> links to /dev/dsp?  Where are
> they, if that's so?

[snip]
> >I think the files you tried to play that gave you the error about too many
> >levels of symbolic links are good files.  Right now, that's the error
> > you've got to fix.
> >
> >One way to do this is to move all alsa related config files out of the
> > way, run alsaconf, and see if it still generates recursive links.  If it
> > doesn't, you might be finished.  If it does, post the results, and what
> > you did, and we'll work it from there.
>
> Ok, this could be difficult.  There are a lot of them. Do something like
> locate alsa.
> Rename all alsa*.conf to *.old.
> Then run alsaconf?  ?to be sure I'm on the same wavelength?

You should be able to do this just in the /etc directory.  You could just
move /etc/alsa/ to /etc/oldalsa/, then run alsaconf again.

> Thanks for coming back.  Had time for a little googling and came up with
> same
> conclusion, but no solution.  BTW, I have sound on w98se on the Dell so,
> the wiring
> setup between my HP speakers, mic, etc must be ok.
>
> >Justin Guerin
>
> Len C

Well, it's good that you know your physical connections are fine, and that
your hardware works.  One less problem to troubleshoot.

Justin