Re: Need Help-YMF724F Sound Card And ALSA

On Sunday 17 April 2005 08:54, you wrote:
> Justin Guerin wrote:
> >Copying the list, so others might be able to help

> >> snipped

> >>Thanks for this info; I couldn't find or maybe overlooked this info when
> >>reading the
> >>man page for vi(vim).  Since the .asoundrc file only enhances,  I'll try
> >>creating the file
> >>when I have sound.

> >>Thanks, for your replying.  Yes, have run alsaconf and alsamixer twice
> >>but still
> >>no sound while video plays beatifully.  Even tried gamix a coulple of
> >>times.  Everything
> >>set up to 90% or better volume.  The last time run alsaconf, it
> >>eliminated the dev/dsp
> >>artsinformational error message that said "too many links to resolve" or
> >>something to
> >>that effect.  Some progess indicated, maybe?  This message popped up
> >>everytime I started
> >>KDE GUI.  Hope I didn't initialize something that would prevent sound
> >>from playing when
> >>using the mixers through my ignorance.
> >
> >snipped...
> >
> >"Too many links to resolve" is an interesting error message that I've not
> >seen.
>
> Related to this, when I last ran alsaconf, video stopped playing on real
> player giving a message
> similar to: non-recognized media format, run change media setting and
> make sure you have the
> proper plugins.  Control center was set to autodetect so I changed it to
> OSS and the video started
> playing again, then went to ALSA and it still played video, no sound,
> and left
> it on ALSA.  This also brought back the artsinformational message about
> too many open links on /dev/dsp.

I did a little research on the too many open links problem, and it seems to me
that you've got recursive links.  Can you post the output of ls -l /dev/dsp,
and the output of ls -l of every file that original link points to?  I have a
feeling after one or two steps, it will point back to /dev/dsp, which is a
bad thing.

> [...]
> >control center, then open the "sound and multimedia" section, and click on
> >the sound system module.  If "Enable the sound system" is checked, then
> >you're using arts.  You might try hitting the test sound button, to see if
> > it provides any good feedback.
>
> Artsd is running as shown:
> lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc$ ps ux | grep arts
> lchata    3503  0.8  5.7 21164 7312 ?        S    12:35   0:00
> /usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -a oss -s 60 -m artsmessage -c drkonqi -l 3 -f
> lchata    3513  0.0  0.3  1548  468 pts/1    S+   12:37   0:00 grep arts
> lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc$
> Also, the enable sound system was checked in control center and playing
> the test button gives me a beep but
> the sound is coming from a builtin modem speaker not from my HP
> polleaudio sterio speakers I have hooked up.
> The modem has always worked for system sounds.  Note: could be the
> speakers are not plugged in correctly; however, I checked the icons on
> the recepticles and they appear to be correct.  Mic to Mic, speakers to
> output and a yellow plug tapped from my monitor plug going to input on
> the Dell machine as they were on the HP Pavilion 8370.  I don't have
> documentation on the Dell so can't be sure about hookup.

> >>ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# lsmod
> >>
> >>snipped: results ok
> >
> >You got enough for us to know that you've got the proper alsa related
> > sound modules loaded, and you've got oss emulation running, which means
> > "play" should work.  That's good.

> >>Justin, thanks so much for your response.  I was beginning to panic and
> >>about to remove alsa and give oss a try.
> >>Hope the info provided pinpoints the problem.
> >>
> >>Leonard Chatagnier
> >
> >It helps, but unfortunately, we pinpointed a problem with the file you
> > were attempting to play, and not your sound setup.  If you can find a
> > known valid sound file, post the results of trying to "play" it.
>
> Searched sox media type extensions and attempted to play several as
> follows with results:
> ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# play
> /usr/share/sounds/Kopete_User_is_Online.ogg
> playing /usr/share/sounds/Kopete_User_is_Online.ogg
> sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Too many levels of symbolic links
> ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#
> Estensions cvs, ogg, mp3 all gave the above message.  snd gave the
> original message posted
> previously.  dat gave a message saying it could not determine the
> sampleing rate.
> Perhaps I should use some option in the play command?  I would be glad
> to download and
> play a known good media file if you could suggest one and the URl to
> locate it.  I think we're
> getting close.  For checkout purposes, should I leave KDE sound hardware
> settings on autodetect
> as it originally was, on ALSA or on OSS?  Also, if you have any
> suggestions on checking out the
> speaker, mic, monitor plugs from my HP accessories I'm using into the

I think the files you tried to play that gave you the error about too many
levels of symbolic links are good files.  Right now, that's the error you've
got to fix.

One way to do this is to move all alsa related config files out of the way,
run alsaconf, and see if it still generates recursive links.  If it doesn't,
you might be finished.  If it does, post the results, and what you did, and
we'll work it from there.
> >Justin Guerin
>
> Thanks for your much needed help.
> Leonard Chjatagnier