Re: Re: amazingly, debian server keeps crashing

On 4/18/05, w trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:
> > 1.  Are you running testing or unstable or what?
>
> sarge (= testing still, right?)

Yep.

> > 1.  Maybe there is a bad disk in the array.
>
> are there command-line tools to find out? there don't seem to be
> any 3w-xxxx logs other than startup.

I don't know.  I guess what you would need here is a hard drive
burn-in-type program, or perhaps a hard disk performance tester, to
stress-test it for a while and see if it holds up.

> > 2.  Maybe the controller is hiccuping.
>
> i could tell if i ... did what?

Again, I don't really know.  I'm thinking a disk
burn-in/stress-test/benchmark program.  The other option would be to
replace the controller with a known-good one (or at least, another new
one, preferably of a different model to eliminate any possible
incompatibilties, though I'd try that last since it might require a
software change to work).

Good luck.  Let us know what you find out.