Re: ALSA -sound

--- "H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Apparently, _Punit Ahluwalia_, on 18/04/05 15:30,typed:
> > alsaconf tells me no soundcards found. But, as I said earlier that the sound works
> when I
> > play a CD. So I suppose the sound card is configured. It seems to be a wierd problem.
>

> If your CD drive's ananlog output is connected to the motherboard
> directly, the drive doesn't need the sound card at all.

I am using Compaq presario 900 US. Am not sure about this.

> BTW, if you are running gnome or kde, can you hear system sounds when
> they are turned on?

No, I don't hear any sound

> And what do these commands give as output:
> $> lsmod | grep snd
> $> lsmod | grep oss

QM_Modules: function not implemented for both.

By the way, I am running kernel 2.6.26. When compiling the kernel, I read somewhere that
OSS was not needed beyond kernel 2.6.XX. Furthermore, I compiled the sound driver direcly
into the kernel and not as modules, as you can see from the dmesg output.

> I should have asked this before, are you using Gnome?

No, I am running KDE.