Re: APT-GET UPGRADE VS DIST-UPGRADE

On 4/14/05, Marty <martyb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure you've gotten my point.  dselect uses apt too, but it is
> much smarter about upgrading a distribution.  The "user problem" is not
> being aware of it, which may be true in your case as well.  If you don't
> trust dselect's "smarter" approach or don't mind reinstalling dozens of
> packages, that's another issue.  On a fast machine it may hardly matter,
> and could be a good way of getting rid of cruft.

You're right -- I've never used dselect with apt-get.  Still, it's
true that dist-upgrade won't remove packages unless you tell it that
it's allowed to.  I'm also not doing anything incredibly complicated
-- no pinning, no mixing of releases -- so I've yet to see apt-get try
to remove a large number of packages.  That doesn't mean I won't, of
course.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh