Re: APT-GET UPGRADE VS DIST-UPGRADE

Michael Marsh wrote:
On 4/14/05, Marty <martyb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
dist-upgrade is stupid will happily rip out half your packages.  I also
learned the hard way.  dselect does far less damage.  To upgrade with
dselect just change APT::Default-Release in apt.conf

I've routinely used dist-upgrade pretty much since first installing
Debian at home.  I'm running sid, though, so it's not uncommon for
dependencies to change.  In any case, apt-get doesn't do anything
unless you tell it to proceed, so when you lose half of your
installation it could be argued that it's a user problem as much as a
dist-upgrade problem.  If you want to automate your upgrades, then
dist-upgrade is probably not what you want, but then you can't get the
benefits of apt-listbugs either.

I'm not sure you've gotten my point. dselect uses apt too, but it is much smarter about upgrading a distribution. The "user problem" is not being aware of it, which may be true in your case as well. If you don't trust dselect's "smarter" approach or don't mind reinstalling dozens of packages, that's another issue. On a fast machine it may hardly matter, and could be a good way of getting rid of cruft.