APT-GET UPGRADE VS DIST-UPGRADE

Can someone please tell me why dist-upgrade wants to remove kde kdeaddons kvim vimpart, which I have installed and want to keep, while upgrade retains kde and upgrades several of its components. Once before dist-upgrade removed about half of all installed packages, which took some time and effort to reinstall, and I'm not even sure that everything has been put back the way
it was.  Since then, I always use the -s option before doing any upgrading.
Any enlightenment on my part is appreciated. Please copy my email address as I not subscribed.
Thanks for your help,
Leonard Chatagnier