Re: APT-GET UPGRADE VS DIST-UPGRADE

On 4/14/05, Marty <martyb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> dist-upgrade is stupid will happily rip out half your packages.  I also
> learned the hard way.  dselect does far less damage.  To upgrade with
> dselect just change APT::Default-Release in apt.conf

I've routinely used dist-upgrade pretty much since first installing
Debian at home.  I'm running sid, though, so it's not uncommon for
dependencies to change.  In any case, apt-get doesn't do anything
unless you tell it to proceed, so when you lose half of your
installation it could be argued that it's a user problem as much as a
dist-upgrade problem.  If you want to automate your upgrades, then
dist-upgrade is probably not what you want, but then you can't get the
benefits of apt-listbugs either.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh