Re: rediscovering hardware

According to Tom Allison,
> Tony Godshall wrote:
> >According to Kent West,

> >>You can remove modules with the "rmmod" command, or by using "modconf".
> >>Or you can simply comment/remove the lines in "/etc/modules" and reboot.
> >>
> >>With recent kernels and Debian versions (Sid, Testing), most of the
> >>hardware should detect automagically. For those items that don't
> >>autodetect, you can use "lspci" to find the chipset of the offending
> >>device, then use "modconf" to try loading relevant modules.
> >

> >The automagical bit is discover...
> >
> >: Package: discover (2.0.7-2)
> >: hardware identification system
> >:
> >: Discover is a hardware identification system based on the
> >: libdiscover2 library. Discover provides a flexible interface
> >: that programs can use to report a wide range of information
> >: about the hardware that is installed on a Linux system. In
> >: addition to reporting information, Discover includes support
> >: for doing hardware detection at boot time.
> >:
> >: Discover was contributed by Progeny.
> >: co-Maintainers
> >: Jeff Licquia [mail]
> >: Ian Murdock [mail]
> >
> >Thanks, Jeff, Ian.
> >
> >Tony
> >

> The problems I have is this:
>
> I have modules listed in the modules file that no longer exist in the
> system.
> I have hardware devices that do not exist in the modules file.
> I need to resolve this conflict and a large part of it is the sound drivers.
>
> lspci returns
>
> 0000:00:0b.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 008e (rev
> a3) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
>         Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1c08
>
> I can't seem to find much more about it other than it might be an intel
> chipset.  But with a total of 62 modules being currently loaded I am
> hoping to avoid spending potentially days unloading/reloading/rebooting
> my workstation.  Considering that right not I cannot afford any downtime
> (end of term for wife and kids) this is a really poor option.
>
> Right now I'm thinking my best approach would be to just use Knoppix or
> some other installation to see what the devices might be and try and
> diff the files.
>
> But I'm thinking that there is a better way since Debian could or should
> detect this hardware as a part of the installation under
> sarge-installer.  It seems to be a lot easier if there was some way to
> utilize the work invested in S-I to reidentify the hardware in the
> system and use that to build the modules configuration file.  This would
> hopefully remove both the old legacy modules and impliment the new modules.
>
> While systems may do some kind of auto-detect of the hardware when they
> start, I find it difficult to believe that they would actually go
> through and rebuild the modules conf files at every boot (auto config
> rather then auto-detect).

1. comment out everything in /etc/modules (those entries
have nothing to do with this system)

2. install discover

3. reboot and see what loads (i.e. don't waste your time on
the stuff discover can handle)  You shouldn't need to do
alsa conf if discover identifies and loads the right modules
itself.

4. lspci and look up (google etc) the right modules for
whatever discover didn't find if it matters (the IDE
interface should be backwards compatible)

5. file bugs with what you learned so the automagical pixie
dust can cover systems like yours in the future

-- Tony Godshall