mount external usb drive at boot

I have an external usb drive that I'm setting up as a backup hd. I've partitioned and formatted the drive as ext3. I can mount the drive manually at the prompt, but I can't seem to get fstab to mount it automatically on boot. I've changed the /etc/fstab options several times without much success. Here is my most recent setting:

   /dev/sdb1   /backuppc   ext3   rw   0   0

After boot, /dev/sdb1 is not mounted automatically. However, it does mount properly when I manually type 'mount /dev/sdb1'. From 'mount', I get :

   /dev/sdb1 on /backuppc type ext3 (rw)

Just after boot, I get the following from dmesg :

 Vendor: ST340083  Model: 2A                Rev:  0 0
SCSI device sdb: 781422768 512-byte hdwr sectors (400088 MB)
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
USB Mass Storage device found at 3
usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 3
input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech Optical USB Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-2

I'm going to install BackupPC, so the drive needs to be mounted before the BackupPC script is run in /etc/inid.d/ . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hannuman