Re: Annoying problem with GTK apps

On Friday 08 April 2005 19:14, Aurélien Campéas wrote:

> try with just "su" (not "su -" which doesn't inherit your current env. -
> especially your DISPLAY)

"xhost+" and then "su" work fine

> Ok, other people have given better advice than me (try "su -m" or
> kdesu).

"su -m" also works and doesn't need "xhost +"

> Also try setting your DISPLAY env. variable, like for instance in :
>
> export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

I haven't tried this yet, but I'll let you know.

> What's strange is that on my freshly installed sarge system root can
> open X apps without fuss (and I don't remember having done anything
> special wrt this behaviour). Is your system an upgrade from woody ?
> (which was strict in this regard)

Freshly installed Sarge. The /home folder was inherited from previous
installations (Fedora, Gentoo, etc), but I don't see how it could interfere
since the problem comes from the root account.

> read the manual page, it says :
>
> OPTIONS
>     -      utilise un interpréteur de commandes initial « login shell »
>
> (translated : "uses an initial command interpreter 'login shell'")
>
> this forbids root to inherit the current user environment

I know what "su -" means opposite to "su" plain and simple. I always used "su
-" with other distros and never had a problem launching X apps this way,
while in Debian I receive the "cannot open display" error. This is why I
asked if what I am experiencing is common behaviour with Debian. It seems is
not, so there must be something wrong with my configuration.

Anyway, thank you very much since with your suggestions I can work around the
problem. Nevertheless I have to investigate the reasons behind this
mis-behaviour.

All the best,

--
Piero Piutti