Re: Annoying problem with GTK apps

Le vendredi 08 avril 2005 à 20:24 +0200, Piero Piutti a écrit :
> On Friday 08 April 2005 19:14, Aurélien Campéas wrote:
> >
> > export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
>
> I haven't tried this yet, but I'll let you know.

forget about that, it's useless in your case

> I know what "su -" means opposite to "su" plain and simple. I always used "su
> -" with other distros and never had a problem launching X apps this way,
broken, insecure, ("user-friendly" ?) distros
so obviously you have learnt some wrong meaning for "su -"

> while in Debian I receive the "cannot open display" error. This is why I > asked if what I am experiencing is common behaviour with Debian. It seems is
> not, so there must be something wrong with my configuration.

it *is* normal behaviour in debian (it is normal behaviour, period)
please compare the output of "env" with "su" and "su -"
then think about the *intended* meaning of "su -"

> Anyway, thank you very much since with your suggestions I can work around the
> problem. Nevertheless I have to investigate the reasons behind this
> mis-behaviour.

you can try to investigate the (social, commercial ?) reasons behind
other distros broken and insecure behaviour instead, that could be
interesting ... good luck :)

> All the best,

Are you making all this up as you go along?

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.