Re: Annoying problem with GTK apps

Le vendredi 08 avril 2005 à 19:08 +0200, Piero Piutti a écrit :
> On Friday 08 April 2005 18:23, Aurélien Campéas wrote:
>
> > you mean from xterm or gnome-terminal
>
> konsole, actually...
>
> > this is a security feature ; to disable it, as "normal" user, type
> > "xhost +", then proceed as root
>
> tried, it didn't work (see below)
>
> joel@adam:~$ xhost +
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
> joel@adam:~$ su -

try with just "su" (not "su -" which doesn't inherit your current env. -
especially your DISPLAY)

> Password:
> adam:~# synaptic
>
> (synaptic:18961): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> adam:~#

Ok, other people have given better advice than me (try "su -m" or
kdesu).

Also try setting your DISPLAY env. variable, like for instance in :

export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

What's strange is that on my freshly installed sarge system root can
open X apps without fuss (and I don't remember having done anything
special wrt this behaviour). Is your system an upgrade from woody ?
(which was strict in this regard)

The smallest worm will turn being trodden on. -- William Shakespeare,
"Henry VI"

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.