Re: DHCP/nfsroot not working

Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:

> Urs Thuermann <urs@isnogud.escape.de> writes:
>
> > OK, given that nfsroot.txt seems to be a bit out of date, I'll try to
> > remove the nfsroot= option to see if the kernel will then mount the
> > directory from the NFS server given in the DHCP reply (in contrast to
> > nfsroot.txt which says that it will mount /tftpboot/%s then).
>
> AFAIK that doesn't work. The DHCP reply ("next-server" or
> "server-name") don't translate to NFS locations.

That's what I had in mind, too, from my trials a couple of years ago.

But I tried today and the next-server option works.  I left out the
nfsroot argument in the kernel command line and configured the DHCP
server with

   host {
       next-server nfs-server;
       option root-path "tftpboot/crr";
   }

where nfs-server is different from the DHCP server.  The kernel shows
all the parameters on the console and mounts its root directory from
the correct server.

> The DHCP options are only available to the DHCP client config script.

next-server is part of BOOTP also, no DHCP extension.  It's not even
an option but a fixed part in the BOOTP datagram.

urs