DHCP/nfsroot not working

I have an ebedded system (called coll road runner nad made by the
german company Lippert) which I want to boot with DHCP and nfsroot.

It has grub installed on its MBR on the hard disk and grub starts
correctly and shows the menu defined in (hd0,0):/boot/grub/menu.lst.

I have define one entry for nfsroot which is

    title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.27-ut (nfsroot)
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-ut root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/tftpboot/crr ip=bootp rw s
    boot
    savedefault

The kernel is loaded by grub, boots, brings up the eth0 interface and
sends DHCP requests.  The DHCP server replies correctly (checked with
tcpdump) but the client seems not to see these replies.  It continues
sending DHCP requests until it times out.

When I change the kernel command line to contain the complete IP
configuration instead of using DHCP, i.e. when I replace

    ip=bootp

by

    ip=192.168.84.21:192.168.84.1:192.168.84.1:255.255.255.0:crr:eth0

the kernel mounts its root file system using NFS and everything comes
up.  So the ethernet NIC and nfsroot work.  Only the IP configuration
via DHCP fails, although "IP: kernel level autoconfiguration" and
"IP: DHCP support" is enabled in the kernel (otherwise it wouldn't
send DHCP requests).

What can be the reason that the kernel doesn't see the DHCP replies
from the DHCP server?

BTW, the embedded system has only one ethernet interface, which is a

    # lspci -v
    0000:00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
            Subsystem: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
            I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
            Memory at ef000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
            Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]

and the natsemi driver (CONFIG_NATSEMI) is built into the kernel, of
course.  The kernel is built from the Debian package
kernel-source-2.4.27 version 2.4.27-8.

urs