Re: DHCP/nfsroot not working

Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> writes:

> The above config isn't right... you should have ip=dhcp

Ah, thanx.  That's it.  It's working now.

I had read linux/Documentation/nfsroot.txt and it only says something
about RARP and BOOTP.  Since DHCP is an extension of BOOTP I assumed
the kernel will do DHCP if compile-time-configured for DHCP and given
ip=bootp in the command line.  Ok, now I know ip=dhcp is the way to
go.

Before, I tried without any ip= option in the hope the kernel will
automatically do DHCP if that's the only configured IP
autoconfiguration option enabled, since nfsroot.txt says

   ip=...

     If this parameter is missing from the kernel command line, all
     fields are assumed to be empty, and the defaults mentioned below
     apply. In general this means that the kernel tries to configure
     everything using both RARP and BOOTP (depending on what has been
     enabled during kernel configuration, and if both what protocol
     answer got in first).

But it did't.  It didn't even send BOOTP requests but only panic'ed
since it no network configuration was done and the root fs couldn't
then be mounted.

OK, given that nfsroot.txt seems to be a bit out of date, I'll try to
remove the nfsroot= option to see if the kernel will then mount the
directory from the NFS server given in the DHCP reply (in contrast to
nfsroot.txt which says that it will mount /tftpboot/%s then).

urs