Re: OT: timezones

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 05:36:25PM +0200, Bruno Hertz wrote:
> michael <linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 16:55 +0200, Bruno Hertz wrote:
>
> >> And now the funny bit: since I looked at that stuff, I customized my Gnus
> >> mail client to show me your guys offset from UTC in the summary buffer,
> >> as specified in your Date mail header. So e.g. this thread looks like this
> >> in my summary buffer:
> >>
> >> michael                   06.04.05:00:06 +01  timezones
> >> Clive Menzies             06.04.05:00:18 +01      Re: timezones
> >> michael                   06.04.05:00:38 +01          Re: timezones
> >> Bruno Hertz               06.04.05:00:50 +02              Re: timezones
> >> Bruno Hertz               06.04.05:00:28 +02      Re: timezones
> >> Clive Menzies             06.04.05:00:56 +01          Re: timezones
> >> Bruno Hertz               06.04.05:01:16 +02              Re: timezones
> >> roby                      06.04.05:15:41 -04                  Re: timezones
> >> Bruno Hertz               06.04.05:00:40 +02      Re: timezones
> >>
> >> and, as your mails arrive, without even looking into them I can see what your
> >> timezones are and where you're likely from (see that column with +/- UTC offsets).
> >> Michael apparently is BST, I'm CEST, and you are EST with DST. So, presumably,
> >> Michael is from the UK, I'm anywhere from continental Europe, and you anywhere
> >> from the US East Coast. Now, is this fun or what? :)
> >
> > More exactly, I guess, you can tell what timezones the mailers we're
> > using are ;)
> >
> > eg between my mails above I changed my clock settings (see prior emails)
> > which doesn't show up since i was using a web mailer on another
> > machine....
> >

> > Michael the pedant
>
> Hehe, sure. Also, as timezones mostly don't distinguish latitude, my guesses are
> rather vague of course. So if Roby's name was actually Alejandro, I'd still
> have to look into the mail to see how good his English is to take an educated
> guess about his origins - without doing an whois on his ip of course, which I
> consider to be brute force and rather distasteful :) . Anway, it's those little
> extras which make digging through mailing lists, or news groups for that matter,
> even more pleasing for me ...
>
> Regards, Bruno the fuzzy.

I know that New Zealand obseerves summer time, but for their summer which is the
opposite time of year from where I am in USA. I suppose that other countries in
Southern Hemisphere do also. So if your attension span is long enough, you can
infer north/south hemisphere. And, perhaps equitorial region as there is little
justification for the summer time convention within the tropics.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net