Re: OT: timezones

michael <linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 16:55 +0200, Bruno Hertz wrote:

>> And now the funny bit: since I looked at that stuff, I customized my Gnus
>> mail client to show me your guys offset from UTC in the summary buffer,
>> as specified in your Date mail header. So e.g. this thread looks like this
>> in my summary buffer:
>>
>> michael                   06.04.05:00:06 +01  timezones
>> Clive Menzies             06.04.05:00:18 +01      Re: timezones
>> michael                   06.04.05:00:38 +01          Re: timezones
>> Bruno Hertz               06.04.05:00:50 +02              Re: timezones
>> Bruno Hertz               06.04.05:00:28 +02      Re: timezones
>> Clive Menzies             06.04.05:00:56 +01          Re: timezones
>> Bruno Hertz               06.04.05:01:16 +02              Re: timezones
>> roby                      06.04.05:15:41 -04                  Re: timezones
>> Bruno Hertz               06.04.05:00:40 +02      Re: timezones
>>
>> and, as your mails arrive, without even looking into them I can see what your
>> timezones are and where you're likely from (see that column with +/- UTC offsets).
>> Michael apparently is BST, I'm CEST, and you are EST with DST. So, presumably,
>> Michael is from the UK, I'm anywhere from continental Europe, and you anywhere
>> from the US East Coast. Now, is this fun or what? :)
>
> More exactly, I guess, you can tell what timezones the mailers we're
> using are ;)
>
> eg between my mails above I changed my clock settings (see prior emails)
> which doesn't show up since i was using a web mailer on another
> machine....
>

> Michael the pedant

Hehe, sure. Also, as timezones mostly don't distinguish latitude, my guesses are
rather vague of course. So if Roby's name was actually Alejandro, I'd still
have to look into the mail to see how good his English is to take an educated
guess about his origins - without doing an whois on his ip of course, which I
consider to be brute force and rather distasteful :) . Anway, it's those little
extras which make digging through mailing lists, or news groups for that matter,
even more pleasing for me ...

Regards, Bruno the fuzzy.