Re: problems at boot time

On Apr 6, 2005 3:26 PM, Jesús Fernández <jesusfs@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi there, i just downloaded sarge cd1 and installed it. while installing it
> there are no problems so everything here is fine.
> the problem is while booting the linux. i can see some errors... all i think
> related with hotplug, insmod.. shpchp... pciehp...
> finally it stops doing anything when it reaches this line
>
> usb.c:registered new driver hub
>
> sometimes it goes furthest 1 or 2 more lines and stops in something telling
> "high bandwidth" and something of usb
>
> this is it.. stops here, i can write text in the console, but nothing
> happens..
>
> the kernel it installed is 2.4.27 and if this were useful, i had fedora core
> 3 installed and running with no probs
>
> what can be happening? as i think it is related with usb and hotplug, is
> there any way i can disable it?
> pd: it happens the same in recovery mode ^^
> thanks

You could try booting in single user mode, then uninstalling hotplug.
Though it seams that the lines you mention are from the kernel usb
driver and not from hotplug (it is possible that it is hotplug which
is loading them, I am not certain). The fact that your system just
stops seems indicative of a bigger problem with your usb controller or
one of the attached usb devices though (probably a hardware problem).
Alternatively, the wrong driver might be loaded for an attached device
or the controller itself, which hangs everything.

Anyway, if you do boot in single user mode, look at /etc/modules and
see if any usb drivers are listed there, comment them out then. And
remove hotplug (or just change the startup links in rc.6). If discover
is installed, might wanna remove that too.

just google for booting linux in single user mode for instructions for
both lilo and grub.

greets,
Wim