Re: A question about /srv partition

Cameron Hutchison wrote:
Once upon a time Roberto C. Sanchez said...

I recommend using LVM2.  It is especially nice when in 6 months to a
year you decide you want to change your partition layout.

On top of that, I recommend using the XFS filesystem on top of that. It
can be resized online. On one machine I made the mistake of using ext3
on logical volumes. It always seems you need to resize a partition when
you're in the middle of something. Having to take the machine down to
single user mode to resize a partition is quite annoying.

Note.  You should never use XFS (or JFS or others of that class of
journaling file system, which I believe are meta data journaling) unless
the machine is connected to an UPS.  Also, XFS partitions can only be
grown (never shrunk), unless you dump, delete, recreate and restore to
a smaller one.

Maybe ext3 has online resizing now... I dont know.

It is experimental and dangerous.

Rather than recommending XFS, I should really be recommending that you
use any filesystem that can be resized online.

I don't find this to be so much of an issue, especially if you can plan
these sorts of things.  If you expect to encounter situations where
you must resize on line, then by all means pick a file system that
allows it.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez