Taking sceenshots of virtual pages/desks not in focus

Maybe an odd question, but I'm after a means (if at all possible) of being
able to take a screenshot of other pages/desks that are not focused yet.
I use a virtual desktop with several pages within it (this is Fvwm) and
I'd like to recursively take an image of all the pages without focusing
them.

The reason for doing this is such that it's for an application and it
would look extremely odd behaviour otherwise.  I've looked so far at:

xwd
import
scrot

"import" looks as though it *might* do what I'm after with the "-screen"
flag, but other than what little information the man page has about it,
I'm not so sure.

I'm assuming it's not possible, but I'm open to suggestions...

-- Thomas Adam