Re: Slow KDE start & Firefox Problems with Added Router

On Monday 28 March 2005 23:22, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
> [sarge/testing;  kernel-image.2.6.8-2]
>
> I had been running my system using a single CAT5 wire between a cable
> modem and a desktop machine, i.e.,
>
>    { Internet } <===> Cable Modem <===> Desktop
>

> Gaining experience with that setup, I decided to go ahead and insert a
> (LinkSys) router/switch into the configuration.  The current layout
> looks like this (all cables, no wireless),
>
>    { Internet } <===> Cable Modem <===> Router/Switch <===> Desktop

Is it a router or a switch or a nat device? It makes a difference.  If you
don't know, give us the model number.

What does your desktop do to

a) allocate its ip address (look in /etc/network/interfaces)

b) select the nameserver (look in /etc/resolv.conf)

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk