Re: Taking sceenshots of virtual pages/desks not in focus

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:53:47 +0100 (BST), Thomas Adam
<thomas_adam16@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Maybe an odd question, but I'm after a means (if at all possible) of being
> able to take a screenshot of other pages/desks that are not focused yet.
> I use a virtual desktop with several pages within it (this is Fvwm) and
> I'd like to recursively take an image of all the pages without focusing
> them.
>
> The reason for doing this is such that it's for an application and it
> would look extremely odd behaviour otherwise.  I've looked so far at:
>
> xwd
> import
> scrot
>
> "import" looks as though it *might* do what I'm after with the "-screen"
> flag, but other than what little information the man page has about it,
> I'm not so sure.
>
> I'm assuming it's not possible, but I'm open to suggestions...

Interesting, but I don't know if there are tools that would do this.

The -screen option is a sub..something of what display to use.  A
typical $DISPLAY is HOST:vt[.screen] -- if you have multiple, physical
displays...
ex:
mybox:0
or
mybox:0.0
mybox:0.1
If it's locahost, 'mybox' is usually blank.

But, anyways, the -screen option won't do much with respect to the
virtual desktops.

I believe virtual desktops are a feature of the Window manager itself
and not X(Free|.org).

--
~ Darryl  ~ smartssa@gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com