Re: logitech mx510

[KS] wrote:
Roberto Winter wrote:

Hi,

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 02:51:16 -0500, [KS] <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:

Roberto Winter wrote:

FIXED!
Sorry everybody! The link I sent had the answer to all my problems.
On Debian the XF86Config-4 should be:

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Logitech MX510"
       Option          "CorePointer"
       Driver          "mouse"
Option "Dev Name" "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse"
       Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/mouse0"
       Option          "Protocol"      "evdev"
       Option          "Buttons"       "10"
       Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "9 10"
       Option          "Resolution"    "800"
EndSection

note that there's no "Dev Phys" Option.
And you also have to compile the evdev module on the kernel. Then do:
# echo "evdev" >> /etc/modules

Hi,

I also bought this mouse recently. And going by the instructions at
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=46 I
see that I have the evedev module loaded.

user@localhost:~$ lsmod | grep evdev
evdev                   9504  0

I did the changes to the XF86Config-4 as:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse[0]"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "evdev"
        Option        "Dev Name" "PS2++ Logitech MX Mouse"
        Option        "Dev Phys" "isa0060/serio1/input0"

Wow! This line shouldn't be there! "Dev Phys" is not necessary (and I
don't know if it makes a difference, but try removing it).

Yes, you were right. Nothing changed by removing the line. Well, nothing that was noticeable!

        Option        "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "Buttons" "10"
        Option        "ZAxisMapping" "9 10"
        Option      "Resolution" "800"
EndSection

However, the buttons 6,7 (arrows for thumb), 8,9 (buttons besides wheel)
and the button 10 just copy the functions of other buttons for me, with
#10 not showing anything. Button 10 doesn't show me anything when using
xev too!

Any suggestions?

It was happening to me when using the wrong protocol... weird....

It could be that you have the "cruise control" thing enabled, you have
to download the "logitech applet" and disable it (you'll find it here:
 http://freshmeat.net/projects/logitech_applet/ ).

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=47

Get back here afterward telling if it worked.

I checked the link and I think it would just change the mouse to use
800cpi. I doesn't look like it would affect the button usages, or will it? For now I just tried to get the buttons to work. I have xbindkeys isntalled and the .xbindkeysrc is the default config file. I can get a xterm with Ctrl+Mousebutton2 (also with Ctrl+ Buttons onthe mouse with arrows pointing forward). Thus the buttons are still doing the same actions!

Am I missing something here?

This:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/linuxconsole/ruby/utils/evtest.c
is an evtest program that shows what evdev sees. In my case (because I have 2 mice)

evtest /dev/input/event4

shows on standard out all he sees.
This is an A4Tech optical mouse with 5 buttons and 2 wheels. He sees them all.

But no such luck with protocol evdev: button 1 never separates "press" from "release" so I cannot drag anything. But button 2 does, so I swapped the two.