Re: vacation/mail

on Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:12:59AM -0500, Matt Price (matt.price@utoronto.ca) wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> just wondering what the standard practice is for setting vacation
> messages when using getmail.  So, my mail arrives in POP/IMAP account;
> I download it with getmail, and sort it with procmail.  I'd like to
> send out vacation messages only to messages that get sorted into
> particular mailboxes (actually these are maildirs in this case) --
> this is mostly to avoid sending out vacation autoreplies to all the
> lists I'm subscribed to.
>
> I imagine other folks have managed this issue before -- what solutions
> have you come up with?

Notify those whom you're concerned about in advance.

Delegate your mail to someone while you're away.

Or just deal with the fallout when you get back.

Sending automated "I'm out of the house for the next week" messages to
random strangers around the Internet is poor security practice.

Peace.

    More haste, less speed.