Re: vacation/mail

(matt.price@utoronto.ca) wrote:
> > hi folks,
> >
> > just wondering what the standard practice is for setting vacation
> > messages when using getmail.  So, my mail arrives in POP/IMAP account;
> > I download it with getmail, and sort it with procmail.  I'd like to
> > send out vacation messages only to messages that get sorted into
> > particular mailboxes (actually these are maildirs in this case) --
> > this is mostly to avoid sending out vacation autoreplies to all the
> > lists I'm subscribed to.
> >
> > I imagine other folks have managed this issue before -- what solutions
> > have you come up with?
>
> Notify those whom you're concerned about in advance.

It is a good idea to make a list of people who "need to know" well before
one's vacation begins.  I start packing a week or so before a trip, so I do
not forget anything.

> Delegate your mail to someone while you're away.

One can unsubscribe from mailing lists or if one finds that an inconvenience,
have mailing list mail deleted (with a filter for example) until one's
return.

> Or just deal with the fallout when you get back.

> Sending automated "I'm out of the house for the next week" messages to
> random strangers around the Internet is poor security practice.

As is putting such a message on the phone answering machine.

8)

--
sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com