Knoppix to Debian (not debootstrap?)

Hi,
I'm sure this question must've come up before, but I'm not
able to find a solution in the archives:

How can I install the Knoppix "base system" directly to my
hard drive (NOT as a "live CD" NOR dependent on the CD for
data --- which is what seems to happen if you use the
"install to HD" options with Knoppix)?  I want to take
advantage of Knoppix's ability to recognize and correctly
configure my hardware, but have a (sort-of) standard Debian
system at the end (yes I realize it's not *really* standard
if I have a different base system installed, but it will
"quack like one").

Once I have a basic system like that, I should be able to
use apt-get to install all the packages that I need.

I found instructions for doing a network install of Debian
from a PC running Knoppix (i.e. running "debootstrap" on
Knoppix), but this is just to get the software to run ---
it still uses the standard Debian installer and
base-system, which I *know* misconfigures this machine
(tried already).  In other words the "debootstrap via
knoppix" instructions appear to throw away the very
information I wanted to get from Knoppix.

In fact the only reason for using Knoppix at all is that the
standard install failed and Knoppix succeeds.

I figured this would be a basic How-To or FAQ, but although
there exists the "debootstrap via knoppix" instructions,
they are apparently a red-herring, since they can't
preserve the Knoppix base-system (or can they?).

If this is already documented somewhere, what's it called?
Otherwise, any help appreciated --- I'll be happy to write
up the procedure, as it seems like it would be very useful.

TIA,
Terry