Re: Knoppix to Debian (not debootstrap?)

Well, first look here

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Installer

then after you've realized there's not much of real use there do this

1. Boot CD
2. start up a console
3. type su (no password)
4. type knoppix-installer
5. follow its instructions for a debian type install.

couple of things to note. while it is possible to edit the .knofig file to do a multi-partition install, its not reliable (that is, I couldn't get it to work, ymmv). If you can get it to work then you can set an environment variable to ignore the HD check (I think its IGNORECHECK=1) before you run it. Then it won't force you into the 2+ gig requirement.

I've now done this a few times (most on the same damn machine, argh) and I've found it best to set up 1 big partition for / probably 2.5 - 3 gigs and put the whole thing on there. Then later you can move some directories around to other partitions if you want. Don't forget to set up swap space in the hd partition part...

when its done crunching (long time gone) then you'll have a working mixed distribution debian based system. You will probably want to upgrade the whole thing to one distribution at some point by apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade -t unstable. or find some work-around to get into strictly testing or stable if you want. Note that apt can mess up your permissions doing this. Make sure you kill your X window manager before your upgrade. (/etc/init.d/kdm stop) If you have trouble logging in after the upgrade, check the permissions on /tmp. This has happened to me a couple of times and boy is it annoying. Also, apt will turn on every damn service it can find so a little time with update-rc.d is required when done.

At the end you'll have debian unstable with some knoppix hardware setup in it. There is a way to fully de-knoppify but I can't find it right now. Its out on google somewhere.

good luck.

Terry Hancock wrote:
Hi,
I'm sure this question must've come up before, but I'm not able to find a solution in the archives:

How can I install the Knoppix "base system" directly to my hard drive (NOT as a "live CD" NOR dependent on the CD for data --- which is what seems to happen if you use the "install to HD" options with Knoppix)? I want to take advantage of Knoppix's ability to recognize and correctly configure my hardware, but have a (sort-of) standard Debian system at the end (yes I realize it's not *really* standard if I have a different base system installed, but it will "quack like one").

Once I have a basic system like that, I should be able to use apt-get to install all the packages that I need.

I found instructions for doing a network install of Debian from a PC running Knoppix (i.e. running "debootstrap" on Knoppix), but this is just to get the software to run --- it still uses the standard Debian installer and base-system, which I *know* misconfigures this machine (tried already). In other words the "debootstrap via knoppix" instructions appear to throw away the very information I wanted to get from Knoppix.

In fact the only reason for using Knoppix at all is that the standard install failed and Knoppix succeeds. I figured this would be a basic How-To or FAQ, but although there exists the "debootstrap via knoppix" instructions, they are apparently a red-herring, since they can't preserve the Knoppix base-system (or can they?).

If this is already documented somewhere, what's it called?
Otherwise, any help appreciated --- I'll be happy to write up the procedure, as it seems like it would be very useful.

TIA,
Terry