Re: css, copying, compressing. legality thereof

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:01:32PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> Colin J. Ingram wrote:
> >Lee Braiden wrote:
> >

> >>What you want to do hurts no one, and simply makes your personal life
> >>easier.  Sure, a company might get a little richer if they make your
> >>life complicated and then offer a solution in the form of a more
> >>manageable copy of what you've already paid for, but who's hurting who
> >>in that situation?
> >>
> >>You still have basic rights.  Hold on to them.
> >>

> >I agree...I don't know what the entertainment industry would say but I
> >think this is perfectly legitimate.  You own a copy of the video and
> >would like to transfer it to a more convenient form.  For instance, as
> >long as you own an original copy of a cd, you can have a compressed copy
> >(mp3) on your computer or ipod.  I like to archive all my cd's on my
> >computer and then burn cd copies to use in my car, at work, around the
> >house.  Since cd's tend to scratched and I can always burn another copy
> >when that happens.  The original stays nice and safe in its case.  I
> >don't think this violates copyright laws, but again the music industry
> >would want to disagree since they would prefer I buy a new copy every
> >time I loose or break my disk.
> >

> ok, good, I am also of this opinion.  But can anyone help with the
> practical problem of copying and recompressing css-encrypted files?  I
> haven't the slightest idea how to go about it.  thx,
>
> matt

Hi Matt,

if you don't have it, install mencoder, mplayer and mplayer-doc from

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

Read the section 'Encoding with MEncoder', it is a bit tricky, but in
the end you have full control over the output. And ~700Mb per high
quality movie is difficult to beat at the moment. Now, for having the
menus, this won't work, but I don't know of any method at all to reduce
the size and keep the menus at the same time, your kids will have to go
with what they get.

Ah yes, and don't cross your southern border, they might put you in
chains for ripping movies... :)

Andreas

--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred