Re: css, copying, compressing. legality thereof

Lee Braiden wrote:

What you want to do hurts no one, and simply makes your personal life easier. Sure, a company might get a little richer if they make your life complicated and then offer a solution in the form of a more manageable copy of what you've already paid for, but who's hurting who in that situation?

You still have basic rights.  Hold on to them.

I agree...I don't know what the entertainment industry would say but I think this is perfectly legitimate. You own a copy of the video and would like to transfer it to a more convenient form. For instance, as long as you own an original copy of a cd, you can have a compressed copy (mp3) on your computer or ipod. I like to archive all my cd's on my computer and then burn cd copies to use in my car, at work, around the house. Since cd's tend to scratched and I can always burn another copy when that happens. The original stays nice and safe in its case. I don't think this violates copyright laws, but again the music industry would want to disagree since they would prefer I buy a new copy every time I loose or break my disk.