Re: grub problem? disk problem? howto fix it

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Clive Menzies wrote:

> On (17/03/05 20:27), Richard Weil wrote:
> > Here is the problem: I have a server, running debian sarge w/ a couple
> > of packages from unstable. I believe it was running 2.6.10. I logged
> > into it after about a week and the server was having problems -
> > couldn't "su", couldn't read system mail, etc. So, I killed what
> > appeared to be some problematic processes (a bunch of cron jobs) and
> > tried a reboot. Nothing happened. So I hard rebooted the computer. When
> > it didn't come back up, I attached a monitor and the computer is stuck
> > at a grub "error 25".
> >
> > What is the best way to fix this? Should I try to boot into something
> > like knoppix and then modify grub on the hard drive? Any suggestions on
> > what, exactly, I need to fix?

boot from knoppix

( knoppix already did it
mount /dev/your-disk /someplace

if you're paranoid ... unmount it and
e2fsck all your hard disk partitions

if you have a silly /boot partition, you'd need it mounted too

# if your debian is on /dev/hda
chroot /someplace grub-install /dev/hda
exit
reboot