Re: Troubles: Internet, Printer, Sound More.

David R. Litwin wrote:

dmesg:

3c59x.c 18Feb (goes on to say the Ethernet's name.)
eth0: 3Com 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xb800, 00:50:da:b8:ae:ea, IRQ 0
***Warning! IRQ 0 is unlikely to work!***
Okay; I stand corrected.

    8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split/autoselect/Autonegotiate
    MII transceiver found at address 24 (writing?), status 782d (writing?)
Enabling bus-master transmitter (writing?) and whole-frame receiver.

later on:

eth0: Initial media type Autonegotiate.
eth0: MII #24 status 782d, link partner capability 0021, setting half-duplex
eth0: Cannot allocate IRQ #0.
PCI deivce '3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx' was not assigned an IRQ
It will not be activated.
So, for some reason your 3Com is not being assigned an IRQ. Odd.

You might go into your computer's BIOS and tell it to reset config data, and/or tinker with the setting of "PnP OS?" (or similar items). I'm thinking along the lines that the BIOS expects the OS to set the IRQ, and the OS expects the BIOS to do the job.

There are some tools (nictools-pci I think; your card may be classified as a Vortex) that may allow you to set the IRQ manually. Hopefully this package is on your Woody CDs. If so, give them a try and see if they help diagnose the problem.

--
Kent