Re: Troubles: Internet, Printer, Sound More.

David R. Litwin wrote:

cat /etc/debian_version: 3.0

cat /etc/apt/sources.list: deb cdr0m: [debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r4 _Woody_
- official i586 Binary-1 (20050102)]/unstable contribution
non-US/contribution -US /main non-US/non-free non-free.

So you've installed Woody from CD.

uname -a 2.2.20- idepci#1 i686unknown.
With a 2.2 kernel.

lspci

00.0a.0 Ethernet Controler:3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
Excellent; well-supported card.

I noticed with the dmesg it said, basically, that IRQ 0 (which I
believe is for the eth0) may not work. Running pppoe, it says:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy.
pppoe: Send (sendPacket): Network is down.
I know nothing about PPPOE. But I will assume that on Windows all you have to do is plug in the ethernet cable, set Windows to DHCP (actually it's probably already that way be default), and the network just appears when you boot up.

If that's true, on Debian, make sure the 3c59x module is installed (or it might be compiled in on the stock 2.2 kernel). Run "lsmod" and look for 3c59x. If it's there, great. If not, we'll assume it's compiled in (I vaguely remember that it might be).

Edit "/etc/network/interfaces" so it looks something like so:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then restart networking with the commands "/etc/init.d/networking stop" and "/etc/networking start". You should now be able to ping, ftp, telnet, browse, ssh, etc.

The command "ifconfig" should list your active interfaces, along with the address assigned to the NIC.

If my assumption is wrong about how Windows works, we'll have to wait for someone who knows about PPPOE to join the discussion.

--
Kent